John D Cogan 2B an artist

Thanks for visiting my blog. Check out my web page at www.JohnCogan.com

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Snapshots of a painting in progress

I have just begun work on a major piece - my studio painting for the 2011 Grand Canyon Celebration of Art.  I plan to post images as I progress.  This first image is the beginning of the block-in in acrylic with the preliminary painting leaning against the canvas .  The preliminary painting is 19 by 8.25 inches.  The canvas is 50 by 22 inches.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good man. Can't wait to watch this develop. That preliminary painting is so rich. I don't know how you get the color to work for you like that. To be honest, I don't see ANYBODY that's able to get the juice out of it like you can. It's not just a deceptive photograph either - I've seen your work in person. :)

    I keep plowing through that drawing course. Can't believe how much I've gotten "into" it. I'm beginning to think it has a lot less to do with talent and a lot more to do with learning to see things correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kind of get addicted to the Bargue plates, don't you? I am working on #66. I just did a short talk/demo of plate #49 to a local art group using the sight-size technique.

    ReplyDelete