John D Cogan 2B an artist

Thanks for visiting my blog. Check out my web page at www.JohnCogan.com

Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Cast Drawing in Graphite by Sight Size Method -Bust of Michelangelo

Here is my first cast drawing using the sight size method.  The drawing is in pencil and took me three days to complete.  Most drawing casts intended for that purpose are rather pricey, but I found some inexpensive sculptures at a company called Design Toscono http://www.designtoscano.com/ They had gray accents, but a can of matte white spray paint fixed that.  I bought three casts for less than $150.  This is a bust of Michelangelo.  I also bought one of Julius Caesar and a small bust of Venus de Milo.  I will post cast drawings as I complete them.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely John! I really really like this. Uh, what's the size of this drawing? Since they're life size I'm guessing that's a pretty big piece of paper, right?

    I'm having so much fun painting from life. That lead-primed linen is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Martyn, the cast is 18 inches and so is the drawing (hence 'sight-size') I drew it on an 18 by 24 inch Strathmore sketching pad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sight Size drawings can be any size depending upon how far away your easel is from the cast. In fact you can make them HUGE if you put the cast closer to you than the easel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, you are so right. In fact, that is one of my next drawing projects. I have a 10 inch cast that I want to draw larger. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. ECP

    ReplyDelete