John D Cogan 2B an artist

Thanks for visiting my blog. Check out my web page at www.JohnCogan.com

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Painting Sunsets

I have spent some time lately grazing over my J.M.W. Turner books, looking at how he painted sunsets.  Actually, how he painted the sun, because in many of them the sun was WELL above the horizon.  I always wanted to paint sunsets, but was once told by an art instructor that "you cannot paint a sunset."  But Turner did.  Church did.  Even Thomas Moran and Bierstadt did.  And some were quite successful.  Recently I have noticed a number of artists successfully tackling that particular subject matter, and some doing a very good job of it.  Some even en plein air.  So I am working on one and will post it here and on my web page when I get it done.
www.johncogan.com

2 comments:

  1. I love your painting under "About Me", John! good start to your blog...I look forward to seeing more of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Nina, the "About Me" painting is one of my very favorites. Look forward to following this blog John. It's gonna be a good one.

    ReplyDelete